Open source hits the big screen
Open source was popularized long ago with Linux, but it’s everywhere now. And it’s doing more than helping companies innovate.
From cancer support groups and maker movements to food production and citizen-run government apps, open development has grown into the default innovation model for the 21st century, affecting every facet of life.
What are Open Source Stories?
With Open Source Stories, Red Hat documents and celebrates the impact of open source on everyday lives. It could be an open healthcare initiative that calls for a universal medical data hub.Or a high school program that empowers students to operate a laptop help desk. Or a foundation that turns open source 3D printing into prosthetic hands for children. From global movements to individual accomplishments, we shine a light on the people who are bringing open source thinking from tech and business out into the world.
The theater at Summit
This year at Summit, our stories are in the spotlight at the Open Source Stories Theater. Located in Moscone West on Level 3, the theater will:
- Host the world premiere of our newest short documentary, The Open Patient.
- Showcase our short films on a constant loop: e-NABLE, Penn Manor, and The Open Patient (with swag).
- Host live Q&As and meet and greets with our presenters.
- Provide charging stations for all your devices.
Innovation on the main stage: Open Source Stories LIVE
This year, we’re bringing in innovative open source thinkers whose work is making a difference in electronics, girls in tech, and robotics. Their keynotes show how the open source ethic finds its way into everyday tasks and topics. You can also learn more by talking with these thinkers during one of the meet and greets.
Don’t just watch. Participate.
Summit is a great time to help us raise awareness for places like Penn Manor and Wevolver, people like Liz and Steven and Nathan, movements like e-NABLE and Girl Develop It. So take the next steps with us:
- Watch the films. Share the stories. Help us spread the word.
- Check in at our theater using the Summit App. Get your badge and display support for these worthy causes.
- Sign up for our newsletter. Get behind-the-scenes stories and films, information about upcoming films, and deeper links.
- Visit OpenNotes, and learn about how to demand open healthcare.
- Follow Red Hat on Twitter. Use the hashtag #OpenSourceStories to tell us your tales.
- Share your own story. Email us at email@example.com. Stories build strong communities, and we’d love to hear yours.
|THEATER DETAILS||Open Source Stories Theater
Moscone West, Level 3
Open daily, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
|Girl Develop It meet and greet
Thu Jun 30, 4:30 p.m.
Corinne Warnshuis, Girl Develop It